Expert Advice – Before Tanning
To have the best possible tanning experience, there are some points to keep in mind. To have an even, attractive tan and a great overall time, make sure you follow these tips when you tan:
- Prepare your skin – You don’t have to do anything fancy or elaborate here, but do make sure you moisturize your skin at least once per day. By making sure your skin is clean and healthy in the first place, you get a 70% better tan, which means your skin tans faster, gets darker, and lasts longer. If you don’t use a lotion, the first 5-7 minutes of your tan aren’t effective because dry skin reflects UV light.
- Exfoliate and shave – Use a washcloth or one of our recommended skin products to exfoliate. If you tan regularly, ensure you also exfoliate regularly. In addition, shave all areas of your body that you normally shave. Always make sure you shave before the day of your tan and not the same day.
- Wear dark, loose fitting clothing (ideally made of cotton) – If you use tanning bronzer, it can cause stains. These stains are easiest to wash out of clothes made out of cotton.
- Bring the appropriate attire – Plan on bringing whatever type of clothing makes you feel the most comfortable to tan in. You can wear a swimsuit, underwear, or nothing at all.
- Avoid Makeup, Deodorant, & Perfume – Each of these products interferes with tanning lotions and UV rays. Make sure you avoid their use if possible.
- Talk to your Doctor if You Take any Prescription Medications – Prescriptions can cause some medications, like those used for high blood pressure, to become ineffective. In addition, some prescriptions can cause white marks to appear on a person’s body, as they reduce the levels of melanin present in the skin. Be sure to give your doctor a call and let him know you are planning on going to a tanning salon regularly.
- Bring your own eye wear or prepare to purchase some – UV rays still travel through your eyelids and have the ability to cause damage to your eyes, resulting in itching, swelling, or watering. We carry a number of different types of eye wear so feel free to speak with us to see which one we recommend for you.
- Remove Watches & Jewelry – They could cause unwanted tan lines.